Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Poetry Time!

I've got a list! It's a small, in progress list, but it exists nonetheless. I'll read these in the next week or two and add more from there.
For my personal poetry perusal, I will be reading Love Poems by Pablo Neruda, Crush by Richard Siken, and Atlas by Katrina Vandenberg.
I picked up the Neruda copy after reading a novel (Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins) that referenced his work. I got Crush after I stumbled across a passage by Siken on the internet (it was pretty much love at first read), and I got Atlas after John Green talked about how it influenced his writing of his bestselling novel The Fault in Our Stars. (I'm a bit of a compulsive book buyer - I buy first and read later.)

Have you read any of these works? Do you have any suggestions for anything I should add to my poetry selections?


4 comments:

  1. Well, I have always been a fan of Dr. Suess! He had many views on a significant number of social and political issues, and many of his books express those views. He also said that, "there is an inherent moral in every story." Social and political issues aside though, they are just fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read some Pablo Neruda but what I read was all in Spanish... Nonetheless it is still really good. And if you wanted to there is a fictional movie kind of about him that includes some of his poetry. It is originally done in Italian with the title Il Postino, and there is either English voiceover or English subtitles that you can watch The Postman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Neruda cover is gorgeous. Attractive visual layout is so important in reading. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a huge Neruda fan, as you can read about in my blog post about Neruda's poetry. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete