Thursday, May 23, 2013

The truth is rarely pure and never simple





In my personal learning plan, I had planned on reading The Importance of Being Earnest. I really like other things I've read by Oscar Wilde and I've seen the movie so it seemed like the next step would be to read the actual play. The assignment in my English class to read the first scene gave me the motivation I needed to just go ahead and read the rest of the play.

Unfortunately between my other class and work and well, having a life, I haven't had time to finish the whole play yet (in the one day we had between the assignment and today), but I do plan to finish it this weekend.

Once I finish reading the play, I plan on re-watching the movie to compare it. Obviously it would be ideal to watch the play itself, but it will be equally as interesting to compare the movie adaption and see how closely they kept to the play.

I'm loving the play so far. Oscar Wilde is so clever and I am continually underlining quotes from the script that are just hilarious!

The one character so far that I'm really looking forward to analyzing a little more is Lane and his relationship with Algernon. In the rendition I'm reading a footnote stated that Lane's sarcasm shows that his relationship with Algernon is very complex. I found this intriguing.

I think that often, supporting characters like Lane can have a significant impact on the story. I guess we'll see as I read further and re-watch the movie.

Have any of you compared the play the Importance of Being Earnest to the movie? Or any other plays to the movie for that matter?

**On a side note, knowing the story of The Importance of Being Earnest, I think the quote I chose for the title of this post from act one is particularly telling, don't you?**

1 comment:

  1. It's true that your title is fitting. I've read The Importance of Being Earnest many times, and I own the movie and LOVE to watch it. There are some very large differences, actually, but thats what happens when different people direct. I agree with you on how funny it is. Oscar Wilde is just so witty and brilliant!

    ReplyDelete