Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A Different View of 'We Real Cool'


After having read and analyzed the poem We Real Cool by Gwendolyn Brooks, I sought to experience it another way in which it might be represented in the media. I found the video above, in which I admired the visual effects that are applied to the different lines of the poem, complimented by images depicting interpretations that are extracted from the poem. I think that I was rather impacted by watching this poem portrayed visually, as the author of the video emphasized the important lines by using color contrasts and effects that would give a different feel to the poem. It really came alive on the screen.

My favorite rendition of the poem, however, is the audio of Gwendolyn Brooks reciting it herself:


I think that this is one of the best ways in which the media has transformed the way we experience poetry. We are able to record, save, and administer recordings of how the authors actually crafted their poems. As I have learned in my Literary Interpretation class, a big component of poetry is the actual sound which is presented. For instance, Brook's use of monosyllabic words throughout her poem are meant to create emphasis, heightening the meaning of the words. This is observed when Brooks herself reads the poem, where she clearly emphasizes the all of the monosyllabic words in the poem, creating an effect that begs the reader to dig deeper into the meaning they offer the poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment