Saturday, May 11, 2013

The House on Mango Street

I finally got the book The House on Mango Street from the library, and have started reading it as part of my original reading list.


So far I've really enjoyed reading this book! The chapters are written in a way that they are seemingly unrelated (one chapter is about her name, the next is about her neighbor),  but all are leading up to the house on Mango Street and the things she experiences there. I love this sentence where she describes not having any friends her age: "until then I am a red balloon, a balloon tied to an anchor." We can all relate to that feeling of not being able to reach our full potential.

I saw that Dallin wrote a post about it. Has anyone else read this book?

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you are enjoying the book! My daughter read it in high school and although it was not her favorite book, she loved the writing style of Sandra Cisneros. She was only 15 when she read it, she might see if differently now if she read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! So I have not read this work by Cisneros but I have read "Caramelo" which is another novel by her. What I really liked about it was her very descriptive narrative, I felt that it really brought characters to life. I learned from that novel that this is a powerful way to characterize. Was this the same by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only a few chapters in so far, but it definitely seems that way. She describes the character without ever really saying "this is what she thinks" directly. She definitely brings the characters to life.

      Delete