Tuesday, May 21, 2013

I'm Hooked

From Russia With Love is the first Bond novel I have read since my high school days and honestly I could not stop reading it. Every chapter had literary hooks at the end which made it so I couldn't put the book down. If I did I couldn't stop thinking about what would happen next. There was a time today where I just sat down at a bench on campus and read till the end of the book, it was that good. And I know I've seen the movies a billion times, but the books stray enough from the plot to keep me interested. Bond gets hurt in these books. He isn't the superhero shown in films. He bleeds, he gets shot, he is nearly beaten to death. You actually fear for his life. Almost every chapter in this book seemed to raise my fears about what would happen to Bond. Especially these two sentences at the end of the chapter entitled "The Killing Bottle": "The bullet, homing on Bond's heart, flashed over its two quiet yards. Bond pitched forward on to the floor and lay sprawled under the funeral violet light." Even the end of the book has a HUGE hook. Big enough that I am now buying the next Bond book to find out how Bond will get out the situation he is in. Reading this book has truly helped me to understand how a great author can use plot and language to produce something very entertaining to read. Five out of five stars James.

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing the updates on your book! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete