Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Exploring Different Genres of Drama

As a way working on LO #2 I explored some different genres as a part of drama week for my personal study. I read some new works and revisited older ones. Here is a summary of what I checked out!



  • Tragedy: Hamlet. An all time favorite! I Personally think it's Shakespeare's best. I loved this work so much in high school that I tried to memorize one of Hamlets soliloquies (but failed miserably.) 
    • Observed Literary Element: Why, Hamlet's soliloquies of course. These are important facets of the play because they give the audience peaks into the main character's thoughts, something that without this could be hard to achieve in a drama.


  • Greek Tragedy: Antigone. After having read Oedipus Rex, I became very interested in the other Theban plays. Though I have not finished Antigone, I did very much enjoy this continuation of the story as far as I read it. I specially love that Antigone attempts to defy the male-ruled world in which she lives in. I must say, though, it is indeed quite tragic. 
    • Observed Literary Element: The chorus. At first I did not understand what the purpose of the chorus was, and then I noticed that it is mostly to emphasize the theme of the play, which is an important role and one that helps the audience to connect that to the actions in the play.

  • Comedy: Cyrano de Bergerac. This is also a work that I revisited. I love this play so much! It is easier for me to read than some of the others, and it's overall lightheartedness really makes it stand out from my other favorite works of drama which are mostly tragedies. 
    • Observed Literary Element: The symbolism behind Cyrano's nose, which stands for the vanity of the society of the time.
 What is your favorite genre of drama?

2 comments:

  1. I've read the first two and enjoyed reading your thoughts on them as well as the literary elements you found in them. The third one sounds interesting because of the symbolism of the nose. I might check that out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed reading! Yes, you should check out Cyrano, it is very funny!

      Delete