Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Second Circle


I am not going to lie I have realized Dante's The Inferno was an incredibly hard choice of poetry to read. The language is filled with words I don't recognize, mostly because they haven't been used in hundreds of years. The way the passages of the poem are organized and the grammar of it all is also ancient. I feel like I have to read each chapter three times in order to get a grasp of it. So after reading poetry and reading about poetry from our textbook for a few hours I decided to test out some of my newly acquired knowledge on The Inferno.  I started at Canto V, which details Dante's descent into the Second Circle of Hell, which is centered on Lust.

Thus I descended out of the first circle
Down to the second, that less space begirds,
And so much greater dole, that goads to wailing.
Interesting use of words here who knows if they were common in Dante's day. I had to invariably look these up so I could get the full meaning of the passage. Begirds means to encircle with or as if with a band. Dole means a charitable dispensation of goods, especially money, food, or clothing. But archaically it means one's fate.  Goads means to prod or urge with or as if with a long pointed stick. Fascinating how understanding the definitions of words in a poem can change the meaning of it or deepen your perception. When I first read this it just described a man going further into hell. Now there is more claustrophobia, suffering, and fate attached to it. After analyzing and defining just this opening passage to Canto V I decided that poetry maybe can be fun with some deeper insight. I continued on...
There standeth Minos horribly, and snarls;
Examines the transgressions at the entrance;
Judges, and sends according as he girds him.


I say, that when the spirit evil-born
Cometh before him, wholly it confesses;
And this discriminator of transgressions


Seeth what place in Hell is meet for it;10
Girds himself with his tail as many times
As grades he wishes it should be thrust down.


Always before him many of them stand;
They go by turns each one unto the judgment;
They speak, and hear, and then are downward hurled.

While I was reading this I was able to see the relationship between Minos, who seems to be a judge in hell, and those who are to be judged. As I read I noticed that many action words were used to describe this relationship: Standeth, examines, judges, sends, girds, confesses, seeth, thrust, speak, hear, hurled. All action words, all quick. When I read the action words I associated the poem with comics I used to read as a kid making it easier for me to analyze. The condemned go through their line moving at a quick pace, with Minos the monster and their judge hurling them down to hell. I could visualize the scene in my head, frame for frame. This was just the first page of the Canto, but I honestly loved it! Breaking the poem down allowed me to have greater understanding and gave me something I could compare it to which always helps.



5 comments:

  1. I freakin' love Dante, especially Inferno. Your translation seems a little clunky though. Dante specifically wrote in vernacular that would be understood by all. EME is not that for us. Maybe Prof. Burton has a good recommendation for a better translation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a engraving depiction of Minos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You did a great job taking something that is difficult to understand and really getting some great insight from it. I have never read anything by Dante, but after reading your post I want to read Inferno!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dante was an interesting person. You'll notice that at the beginning and end of the poem he mentions someone named Beatrice, who is a girl at Court that he has never really spoke to, but claims to be in love with. She appears in many of his works, often as an angel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very glad to see you taking on one of the greats -- though this is literature in translation, and that means you need to shop around a bit for a good translation. Are you confident in the quality of the translation? Have you searched to see any discussions about different translations?

    Also, a little more context, please. Why are you reading The Inferno? Why are you reading it this way? What textbook? What class? Don't assume your audience is the present set of students in our class.

    ReplyDelete