Sunday, May 5, 2013

"The Artist Is The Creator of Beautiful Things"


As I looked through what seemed like an endless amount of fiction books at Barnes and Noble last Thursday I was overwhelmed with all the choices I had. I really wanted to pick a book that was popular, a classic even, and that had a good price because I am a college student and I need money for food. I must have spent a little over an hour paging through books and picking them up and putting them back. A little frustrated I started to make my way over to other sections of the bookstore. I glanced over to where the calenders were at and I saw the bargain book section. Looking through the books I saw The Picture of Dorian Gray staring back at me. At first I put it aside, deciding to look at other books. But I kept remembering how much the cover of The Picture of Dorian Grey struck me. The picture was so interesting. I wondered what this picture meant for the story. Who was Dorian Grey? At the bottom right corner the "only $6.98" sticker kept tempting me. I looked back at the other books, Dorian Grey was among the cheapest. After checking through the pile again for the fifth or sixth time I decided to go with Dorian Grey. It was one of those times where I couldn't resist buying. I judged the book by its cover. And the little sticker at the bottom. Good job Barnes and Noble.

4 comments:

  1. A nice little narrative about selecting a book. Our lives as readers include more than going through the books; discovery is part of the joy. It might have been fun for you to list a few of the books that you browsed and why you were drawn to them. Of course covers count. What's amusing about your story here is that a picture is the central symbol of this famous little novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choice! I found that book to be very reflective. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the story. I liked it a lot!
    I had one of my sons read it in high school for an oral report he had to do. When you have finished the book, I will have to tell you what he did for the report (don't want to give anything away too soon)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite classics! I first read it when I was in the 8th grade, and I didn't pay much attention to it, but of course, I read it once again later on in my life and thought much differently. I've re-read it twice now! And Dr. Burton is right, curiously the picture that attracted you to the book is a central part of the story. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very fitting that the PICTURE of Dorian Gray on the front of the Picture of Dorian Gray caught your attention! This is such a fantastic book and one of my favorites. I look forward to seeing your thoughts on it and if you ever want to discuss it please let me know!

    ReplyDelete