Wednesday, May 15, 2013

"Do not go gentle"


I loved reading this poem. It was one of our common readings for our Literary class and I found it to be very thought provoking about life and death. After analyzing it and marking where it rhymed and repeated it certain places I found deeper meaning in it. I noticed that it repeated itself many times throughout the poem which I underlined in the above example. This gives the poem an echo effect, almost like those who have gone before had spoken and we are receiving their messages.  For me this adds to the theme of the poem being about death and the fight we should give before it. Also I noticed at the end that the poem was directed to the speaker's father who is dying. This gives a personal touch to the poem as the speaker is asking his own father to "not go gently". He is asking him to keep fighting it till the end. He wants him to be one of those wise, good, or wild men. He wants his father to prove himself before going into that good night. Reading this reminded me of when my grandfather died. My family and I had seen my grandfather go from a strong, healthy man to someone crippled by the effects of cancer. We loved grandpa and we begged him to keep fighting till the end. And he did.

1 comment:

  1. This is a good initial effort at analysis, focusing on some specific formal features and teasing out some of the ways this relates to the poem's themes. It is also potentially a kind of personal essay given the ending. It's a proto-personal literary narrative / analysis. Great to accumulate some starting points like this.

    ReplyDelete