Saturday, May 4, 2013

Reminiscing with A&P

So I have never worked at a store like the one in A&P, nor have I lived in a town like that. But for some reason reading that story this morning brought back memories of the summertime. Maybe the fact that it is summertime right now helped. There was something in the way that the author described the scenes though that reminded me of people watching at the beach in Southern California where I am from. And not just watching the girls there, but everyone at the beach. His attention to detail took me back to the times where my friends and I would just zone out at the beach and watch the waves and people go by. Being lost in thought. I felt that the author was able to use language very well in portraying that. Also, I loved that even though the story was short it was able to convey the feelings of adolescence, anxiety, some bravery, and at the end despair.
One of my favorite places in the world-Newport Beach, CA

4 comments:

  1. How does the author evoke that sense of place? Obviously he uses a lot of concrete detail. But how does he arrange it or how does it accumulate so that it has the effect that it does?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that he arranges it so we see things from his perspective. Another author might have just described what they wore, but he described what they wore in minute details and also he put some of his personal feelings and tastes into it. This made it easy for me to relate to what was going on and what he was describing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's good to relate description to point of view

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story's theme plays into this as well. Sammy's searching for an identity he wants to live with paints into his descriptions. Having spent three of my teen summers on Southern California's beaches, I was also taken in by the allure of living "the beach party" life. Too bad the party is an illusion.

      Delete