Thursday, May 16, 2013

My Reflections on My Progress

For my first post I made a personal learning plan which gave an outline of how I was going to accomplish the five learning outcomes of our Literature class:


1. Know basic literary terms and methods
2. Know basic literary genres and representative texts
3. Write literary arguments
4. Engage literature creatively and socially
5. Use emerging communication tools and pedagogical methods

When making my plan I identified where I was weak in my understanding and application of the learning outcomes. I decided that each week I would track my progress by logging my reading time in my posts and also by the content of those posts. I believe that my posts show how I accomplished the learning outcomes listed:

1. Know basic literary terms and methods

I made a post about symbolism called The Things I Carry 

In The Second Circle I talk about how important it is to define terms so that we can understand poetry. I also talk about how I spent a few hours reading about poetry in our textbook showing my efforts to understand poetic methods and terms and improve upon my weaknesses in that area which goes along with my learning plan. This post was my Personal Literary Narrative for the class.

In "Do not go Gentle" I talk about how was able to identify themes by using poetic methods.

2.Know basic literary genres and representative texts

In my posts involving Short Story, Invictus, The Inferno, Drama and Novel I was able to show my understanding of literary genre by breaking down the readings and their meanings. I also provided appropriate representative texts.

3. Write Literary Arguments

In "Do not go Gentle" I make an argument about the possible meaning of the repeated chants in the poem.

With The Second Circle I made an argument for how the author's use of language set the tone for the work and the importance of understanding that knowledge so that we could gain a better grasp of it.

In "A Labour of Love" I was able to argue the importance of detailed language in fiction.

The Things I Carry  made an argument about the importance of symbolism in literature and in our very own lives.

4. Engage Literature Creatively and Socially

In my post on Invictus I loved Dr. Burton's post on delivery and rhetoric because they gave me greater insight into how I could interpret poetry based on how it is delivered.

"A Labour of Love" included comments by Dr. Burton, Jocelyn, and Briggs. All were very complimentary and they talked about the use of Imagery in fiction. I especially liked Briggs' comment on how reading literature could be a spiritual experience.

Charly's comments on my post about The Little Clay Cart helped me understand the connections the play had to other cultural spheres such as Shakespeare and Medieval Europe's social system.

Also I was able to further connect with others creatively and socially through my goodreads profile.

5. Using Emerging Communication Tools and Pedagogy

My poetry adaptation analysis showed connections between poetry and film. It used new media in the form of video.

My post on the differences between the original novel and film From Russia With Love also uses video.

All of my posts have included at least one picture in them.




No comments:

Post a Comment