Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Things I Carry

In The Things They Carried we learn about the characters by what they carried with them. We learn about Lieutenant Jimmy Cross and his definitions of love through the letters he gets from Martha. Kiowa carried an illustrated New Testament book because of his beliefs. Lavender carried so much that when he died he fell straight to the ground. I believe this story shows that often times what we carry defines us. All of the characters had unique personalities and they carried with them unique items. As I read this story and the other assigned readings which took me a little over an hour and a half I thought of what I carry in my life. What defines me?
After last general conference I decided to heed the counsel given and keep my mission tag where I could see it. For me this represents the commitment I made over two years ago and the commitment I continue to make with God to serve Him.

While rummaging through my belongings I found these cuff links. To me they  symbolize my own personal style. They are something extra I can add on to show class or maturity.

I have many other little things around that could be symbols, but this last one means the most to me. It is my Grandfather's watch. I inherited it after he passed away. I think of how strong a person he was when I wear it. He was a Korean War veteran with a strong sense of duty and courage. I hope that someday I will be more like him.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing something so personal to you. I think if I were a character in this story, I would carry a particular photo. That's what was so great about the story and your post - the things we carry are only the iceberg tip of the whole story and what we really carry

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great concept in general, both for understanding ourselves and fictional characters. Our physical belongings do define us (or confine us / refine us). As we have been preparing to move over the past year we have been shedding belongings like molting skin. It's been hard because these objects connect us to time, places, and people. When you give up your things, you sometimes give up yourself.

    There is a trend going around today to post contents of one's purse or to tweet or create a blog post based on the idea of naming your at-hand possessions. (Another what's-in-my-bag example).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats pretty cool I didn't know about that trend, but it is an interesting concept to explore. I think that if we went through our belongings more often we could find out a lot about ourselves in ways we never thought of before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this. I really liked it. I still carry my mission tag with me sometimes, but I wear it on the inside jacket pocket instead of the outside. That way it's still close to me heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this, Philip. I don't have my name tag in front of me where I can see it, but I do have my mission plaque hanging next to my desk. Did you keep a journal on your mission? I was starting on my fourth journal before returning home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good idea to take an inventory of your things like this. I think I might try something like this with things I actually do carry in my purse. Thanks for the inspiration! It also reminds me of the part in Piece of Chalk (http://burton.byu.edu/courses/306/Chesterton.pdf) where he talks about writing a book on what he carries in his pocket. Also a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete