Monday, May 6, 2013

My "To-Read" List

Alexandre Dumas

So I spent the last hour or so going through Goodreads, reading reviews and finding books that I want to read. The list just keeps growing and growing. I love that this is a place that I can keep track of all the books I want to read and all the books I have read. I’ve tried to do that on pinterest but it’s not nearly as awesome as this!

So, I tried to plug some of those books into this term to see if they would fit with my personal learning plan. Why not have some fun while I do homework, right? Anyway, after some careful consideration, here are a few books I want to try and read (or start reading) during this term. I’ve categorized them into genres (learning outcome 2) to make sure I got a little bit of everything.

Fiction:
The Metamorphosis- Franz Kafka
Lady Chatterley's Lover-D.H. Lawrence
The Count of Monte Cristo- Alexandre Dumas
Catch 22- Joseph Heller

Nonfiction:
Ralph Waldo Emerson
By Ralph Waldo Emerson-
Nature
The Transcendentalist
Self Reliance
Friendship
Napoleon; or The Man of the World
Illusions

Poetry:
Leaves of Grass-Walt Whitman
By Ralph Waldo Emerson-
Each and All
Uriel
The Humble Bee
Earth-song
Give All to Love
Days
works by E.E. Cummings
Sylvia Plath
Robert Frost
Oscar Wilde
Native Guard by Natasha Trethewey


Drama:
By Oscar Wilde-
The Importance of Being Earnest
Lady Windermere’s Fan
A Woman of No Importance
An Ideal Husband
The Cherry Orchard- Anton Chekhov
A Doll’s House- Henrik Ibsen
Uncle Vanya-Anton Chekhov


What do you think? Do you have any other suggestions I should check out based on what I already want to read?

6 comments:

  1. Nice List! I have been working on a similar list, and its nice to compare it to yours. Also, The Importance of Being Earnest is one of my favorite plays! It is super funny and I really think you'll enjoy it! Let me know when you get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to read it! I've seen the movie but I'm sure I'll pick up a lot more interesting details from reading it!

      Delete
  2. I read "The Metamorphosis" - it's definitely an interesting read. "Count of Monte Cristo" is at the top of my to-read list as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good list! I love Emerson and the Transcendentalists as well as Whitman's Leaves of Grass. I'm stealing a couple of works and adding them to my own list for sure ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these lists! As Sined said, The Important of Being Earnest is a great play. It's a quick read and since it's a comedy, it's nice and light.
    I'll probably steal some works from your poetry list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Metamorphosis. I can lend it to you if you'd like. It's a quick but fascinating read.

    ReplyDelete