Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A Plan to Learn

I will gladly get us started off with a thought about a learning plan for myself.

In the hopes of becoming a lifelong student, I’ve come up with this preliminary learning plan to start my journey of learning outside the classroom.


These are the learning outcomes I have to fulfill (as an ENG 251 student):

1.Know basic literary terms and methods

2.Know basic literary genres and representative texts

3.Write literary arguments
4.Engage literature creatively and socially
5.Use emerging communication tools and pedagogical methods

So how, pray tell, will I incorporate these into my own personal learning enjoyment?
I know I need to work on my literary terms (especially in poetry) and I should practice writing literary arguments and I can do that in a social manner by using emerging communication tools.

No, I did not just pick some phrases from the previous numbered topics and put them into one big sentence. I’ll spell out my plan for you, in case you’re a little slow.

I will take a work of literature of any genre [2] but we’ll start with poetry since that’s an area of weakness, and then annotate it using all the new literary terms I’m studying [1]. Then from those annotations I’ll write a brief practice argument [3] which I will then post on a blog (why, say, this here is a blog!) in order to socially engage in literature [4] and let others read my musings, and by doing so I’ll be using emerging communication [5] (technology!).

I figure a post a week oughta do it. And on top of that, to be a little more social and pedagogical (er...teaching) I’ll try and tell my husband about the things I’m reading and then his head will explode ‘cause he don’t read much, I reckon.

Bam! Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Jocelyn,

    Thanks for starting out for us. Your plan sounds fantastic! I can clearly see how you plan to link the Learning Outcomes with the skills you want to gain for analyzing poetry, and I think it'll work out great! I think that as you accomplish to meet the learning outcomes as you have designed it with poetry, you will indeed put in practice the skills needed to become a lifelong learner. I am also going to focus my personal study in the genre of poetry, and I hope I can be as determined as you are! Good luck with your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Maybe we can do a little work together if we get stuck on any awesome poetry!

      Delete