Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Little Clay Cart

I spent a couple hours reading this little gem from Ancient India called The Little Cart. The Little Clay Cart is a play that involves romance, social status, and heavenly virtues of character. Now normally I don't read Ancient Indian plays, but it was assigned for my Drama history class so I decided because it was a drama that I would include it here. I actually think that it is the first Indian drama I have ever read.

There are some big differences I noticed between this play and Western drama. The most notable being the focus on the caste system and the meaning of social status and wealth. Despite all of the cultural and social issues however I was able to connect with many of the themes present in the play. The main characters in the play are Charudatta and Vasantasenā. They fall in love with each other, but their love is seemingly thwarted by the King's evil brother in law Samsthānaka. Samsthanaka attempts to kill Vasantasena because he cannot have her for himself. Vasantasena is buried and believed by everyone to be dead. Charudatta is believed to be the killer and he is put on trial for the murder of Vasantasena. Later Vasantasena appears and reveals the truth. Though Samsthanaka faces the death penalty for his actions Charudatta shows true character and virtue by pleading for the King to pardon Samsthanaka who is then set free. Although great importance was placed on wealth and social status in this Ancient Indian drama, it was the forgiveness and charity shown by Charudatta that was of the greatest value. This isn't just a gospel principle taught in our church, but it is a universal principle and it can be learned and appreciated from all cultures.

Matt. 6: 15
For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you

4 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the quality of mercy is not strained speech from The Merchant of Venice. There seem to be some parallels between the Indian caste system and medieval European anti-Semitism.

    My favorite lines are

    But mercy is above this sceptred sway;
    It is enthroned in the hearts of kings,
    It is an attribute to God himself;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the quote and the connection to medieval history . I am glad you got to connect to this post.

      Delete
  2. Great connection with your other course, and it's always interesting to compare literary traditions (and religious traditions). Charly, that was very helpful to connect this with Shakespeare's play. An apt quote, too.

    I love India! I posted a bit about India today, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow awesome parallel between India and the otherworldly. I had done a report on India for my Asian studies class last semester and I too felt that they had a richly exotic culture.

      Delete