Monday, May 13, 2013

Memorizing Poetry with New Media

About a month ago I stumbled across an introduction for a new iphone app called Poems by Heart. It's produced by Penguin, and I think the concept is pretty fabulous. On the app, memorizing classic poetry is presented as close to a game. Users pick the poem they want to memorize, can read it and have it read to them, and then proceed through a series of fill-in-the-blank rounds that are scored and get progressively more difficult. Once a user masters all the fill-in-the-blanks, they can recite the poem to the app.

I think the concept is wonderful, not to mention there is something great about memorizing poetry instead of playing Angry Birds or some other mind-numbing game. The only downside is that you only get a few free poems to memorize, and after that you have to purchase them in "bundles".





6 comments:

  1. That's a great way to use new media! I would like having an app like that. I agree, it is so much better than the mind numbing stuff. I wonder if there is an app like that for memorizing scripture too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it available for Windows Phone or Android?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimara - I've used an app called Scriptorian to memorize scripture (iOS). There is also one called Scripture Mastery. This is obviously a growing area. Machine-aided memorization could very well make the difference for many people getting interested in important texts. Thanks, Lindsey. I've just downloaded the app and am excited to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool! I'm going to go download it right now! Thanks for giving me the heads up

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of using something to help you memorize poetry. I remembered Invictus last night, and now I want to memorize another poem. I have thought to myself that I could dedicate a week to reading poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! I was actually looking for something that would help me with my personal learning plan regarding poetry, and this could be a great tool. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete