Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Literature and I






When I was very young, I remember my grandmother lecturing me on the importance of reading, encouraging my mother to make me read, and scolding me when I did not read enough according to her standards. I believe this is probably why as a little girl I despised reading.

I grew up with science etched in my heart. I found the study of the natural world absolutely fascinating. I loved to learn about the processes that allowed human bodies to function and the forces that gave way for the formation of canyons and valleys. Yet, I hated discussions on the themes of books, and settings, and foreshadowing. I found it boring and utterly meaningless.


And (as you can probably tell from my participation in this blog) everything changed. Everything changed with a book. 


My best friend in high school was very much obsessed with this novel that seemed to me to be just another story, as boring and pointless as other ones I had read (in the defense of said novels prior to my awakening, I never really read them with the intention of getting something out of them.) Nevertheless, being the good friend that I was, I decided to read this particular novel he was so taken with, promising him that I would give it a chance.


I was surprised to find that a book that genuinely moved me had befallen on my hands. My relationship with literature drastically changed from then on. I was later able to associate parts of myself with novels, and the characters that were written. I was able to discover the power of words, and how they can touch your soul when carefully written. I discovered things about myself and about human nature, and the beauty within that sometimes surpasses that of the world we can see. 


I developed a fruitful relationship with literature, which I now cherish and hope to cultivate.

3 comments:

  1. Would you mind sharing the title of that book? I am interested to find out what book changed your thinking. But, that is all it takes. Literature reshapes, adds to and enhances our thinking. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn is right -- don't tease us! Spill the title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I was building some mystery. The novel was The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger.

    ReplyDelete