Monday, May 27, 2013

Some old books....

So I went to California this past weekend for a friend's wedding reception. Going back home is always interesting. You get to see people you haven't seen for a long time, but then shortly after you leave again. Always a bittersweet experience. I tried to spend some quality time with my parents this weekend and while we were looking for a wedding card for my friend I noticed that there was a used book store next door. I decided to go look inside and see what I could find. Whenever I enter a bookstore I always think of the endless choices and possibilities. As I wandered looking through the old, tattered books I noticed I was in the Intrigue and Suspense section. Then I thought I wonder if.... I scanned the shelves... Then there they were. The entire collection of James Bond novels right in front of me. Many of them were printed during the 60's, but they had prints from all different eras there. This is what winning the lottery must feel like. The books were all reasonably priced around $3 a piece and I bought what was missing in my collection. The experience of buying books is one of my favorite parts of appreciating literature and these used books really made it fun for me. Now I own all of the Bond books for a fraction of the price and the books have their own history to them as well. Inside the covers are the names of their former owners. Then I kind of thought f the books as old friends that I hadn't seen in a while just like my friends and family back home. Now I'll get to read the books and know them better, but soon I'll be done reading them and I won't pick them up again for quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment