Thursday, May 2, 2013

So Here's the Plan...

     Well, I'm not much of a planner. My most recent attempts at planning consisted of my daydreams of what I'm going to wear and how often I'll go swimming this summer.
     But second to school breaks, literature is actually something I love to plan about. I love planning which English classes I'll take, which books I'm going to read next, etcetera. And now I get to plan for my progress in this class!
     While taking the pretest, I experienced the feeling of "oh I know this!" only to realize that I once did know it, but have since forgotten. Not cool! My literary knowledge is important to me and this was a good reminder that I need to work to keep it fresh.
     Which leads to my first steps - dusting off my good old A Handbook to Literature and reviewing some terms, and getting acquainted with our class textbook.
     My next steps involve efforts I've been making since January (part of a new year's resolution of sorts) which are to keep reading and keep writing, and to do so in a thoughtful way. At the beginning of the year, I set a daily page goal for both reading and writing. This is helpful, but it's most helpful when I am 1) more than half awake while doing each activity and 2) actively thinking about each, even when not doing them.
     And finally, I need to focus more on areas of literature I don't usually absorb as much of. The last play I read was assigned for a class, and the last time I read poetry was the same situation. I'm a bit better with creative nonfiction, but still none measure up to the amount of novels I read (which still isn't as many as I want to). As part of my plan, I will seek out more of these genres on my own.
     Hopefully by the end of term, my literary knowledge will be back in full force!

No comments:

Post a Comment