Tuesday, May 21, 2013

RENT

In preparation for drama week, I've been thinking about my personal experiences with drama. Probably my favorite memory in regards to drama was last summer, when I was in New York and got to see Rent performed off-Broadway. It was spectacular. I had never seen Rent before (the movie or otherwise) so I got to view it entirely new right in front of me.
I loved the story, the music, and the actors. Even though I've now watched the movie numerous times, the cast I saw in New York are who I think of as the characters. Seeing it performed made the story so real to me, which is why I love watching drama. By the end of the play, I had laughed and sobbed right along with the characters and the rest of the audience.
Drama is one of the reasons I love New York, and one of the reasons I want to go back! I think I could be completely content just seeing a new play every night.

4 comments:

  1. Your post made me think of asking the question - What is the best theater experience you've had? Obviously your experience here had to do with travel to that theater Mecca, New York. How much of our experience with drama relates to travel to specific places or enjoying that with specific people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see conflicting reports of when the musical is set, but it seems to be around 1990-1993. I don't know how I feel about the fact that that's when most of our classmates were presumably born. ;) The whole grunge-Doc Marten boots-plaid shirt look is definitely coming back. The musical would fit with the zeitgeist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that sounds about right. This is one of my favorite musicals, and I'm a little ashamed to admit I don't know its background.

      Delete
  3. I've never seen Rent! My favorite theatre experience would have been Les Miserables or Wicked.

    ReplyDelete