Monday, May 6, 2013

Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde is one of those creepy tales that manages to gross you out and get you thinking at the same time. Dorian Gray is a very good looking man who has his portrait painted. Upon seeing the finished work, he is overcome with despair that he must age and essentially sells his soul to stay young and beautiful forever. The portrait, however, reflects his true appearance and his inner beauty. It keeps track of all of his acts of cruelty and mishaps - each and every one of them. It's one of my favorite scenes in the book when he returns home after breaking a young girl's heart and is shocked to find that the portriat is, in fact, sneering at him.



Anyone else read this book? What was your favorite part?

2 comments:

  1. I have yet to read the book, but I had a friend produce the stage version as her senior project two years ago and it was incredible! I love the story, very interested in reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story and character you described made me think of the movie "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" with Sean Connery. One of the villains, who's actually a spy and traitor, was Dorian Gray. I don't remember if that was his name in that movie, so I'll have to check my sources on that too.

    ReplyDelete