Wednesday, May 15, 2013

New Media and Poetry

YouTube is one of the most widely-visited sites on the Internet. From music to comedy videos - you can find it all. It's also provided a great outlet for interpretation of poetry. The video below is a great example for a modern interpretation of Shakespeare's Sonnet 18.
 

People can set poetry to rap, pictures, or music. The great thing about YouTube videos is that it accommodates different learning styles. Videos apply to both audio and visual learners, while reading a poem will only accommodate that learning style. I think this makes poetry more accessible and understandable to those who otherwise may not be interested.

3 comments:

  1. The music adds to this, as well as the animation, obviously. It's interesting how only some of the text is made visual. It's also interesting how the narrator is made explicit with the image of the loved one at the very end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching this was so helpful in understanding the poem. You're absolutely right about learning styles, because I understood much more from watching this. I also think it's interesting how only certain phrases are displayed as text. It adds a distinct emphasis to those specific phrases. I think I might start trying to find animated versions of all the poems I don't understand :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. For example, I have a hard time reading Shakespeare and understanding it, but watching a film adaptation makes it really clear

      Delete