Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Sharing Blog Posts: Scary and Rewarding

As a part of engaging in literature socially (LO #4) I decide to share my "Personal Narrative" on a separate social media other than blogger. I was a bit intimidated by this because I don't usually put myself out there by sharing things other than silly blurbs about my life, but I decided that I would try to publish something that was actually constructive and would perhaps allow me to find people that share my same interests (in this case my love for literature!) And so I did it:

 I waited for a long while and nothing really happened, but then, long behold, somebody actually commented on it!


 It was my friend who actually recommended the poem for me to use for my "Personal Narrative." Following this I called her, and we spent a good couple of minutes talking about what we each thought about the poem and our different interpretations of it. It was pretty great. Since then I've also had 4 likes on it and a comment.

I learned from this experience how wonderful sharing things about academia that you love with people can really foster a teaching and learning relationship. I was also surprised at how happy I was that people actually cared about what I had to say, and I think that this will encourage me to continue to share what I am learning with others.

6 comments:

  1. I think it's good to write our blog posts with an audience in mind! Congrats on your bravery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think that's one of the things that I learned from this experience that I want to keep practicing.

      Delete
  2. I remembering reading an article about Gwendolyn Brook's and why she wrote this poem. She talks about it and reads it on YouTube too. Thanks for your example! I have been thinking of sharing some of what I have learned on another social media site but as yet have not. You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I watched it too, and I really enjoyed it. Thanks, Kimara. I am glad! I hope you do post something soon!

      Delete
  3. I've posted some of my creative writing on Tumblr too! I don't do it very often, but it's so encouraging when I do and people respond to it. Feedback can be such a good motivator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three cheers for your bravery! I hope others will be willing to share their narratives more broadly than just on these blogs. Great way to fulfill that learning outcome. I hope that it encouraged you.

    Lindsey, are you going to point us to where we can read some of your creative writing on Tumblr??

    ReplyDelete