Friday, May 17, 2013

Where Do I Stand Now? Personal Reflection

Well the time has come for me to evaluate my progress and learning experience for ENG 251 up to this point! I will begin by outlining the Learning Outcomes for the course:

1. Know the basic literary terms and methods
2. Know the basic literary genres and representative texts
3. Write Literary Arguments
4. Engage in literature creatively and socially
5. Use emerging communication tools and pedagogical methods

My goal from the beginning of the term was to fulfill these. Furthermore, after having identified in my personal learning plan my weakness in poetry, I have placed learning focus in the literary genre. Here was what I mapped out on my plan (PO):

1) Becoming acquainted with the different types of poetry
      - I will attempt to do this by studying samples of each type (LO #2)

2) Acquiring skills that will aid me in understanding and analyzing poetry (LO#1 and #3)

3) Develop a work of my own from a chosen genre after gaining enough understanding of it (LO#4)

4) And finally, learn to really appreciate this form of literature (through sharing with my experiences with people in social media and learning from others) (LO#5)

Along the way I tailored my plan to match whatever we were focusing on in class. So how have I done so far? Let's examine (as categorized by learning outcomes):




LO#1:

LO#2:
LO#3:
LO#4: 
  • I worked on this learning outcome first by choosing a novel to read for my personal study plan through the use of my Goodreads account based on the recommendations I received there.
  • I also talked about the importance of learning to appreciate poetry by analyzing it here.
  • I talked about poetry being shared creatively in the new media through Prezis  and Youtube videos as part of my Poetry Adaptation Analysis. 
  • I engaged in literature socially, furthermore, by posting one of my blog posts in a personal social network site.
  • By posting my literary experiences in this blog I have also engaged in literature creatively and socially. 
LO#5:
Another thing that I would like to note is how my peers have helped me to work on the learning outcomes through the comments they have left in my blogs. I specially appreciate Jocelyn's comments on my description of choosing a fiction work to read because we connected in thinking about fiction as a way to travel and her comment on my post where I analyzed "The World is Too Much With Us" because she expressed how I had helped her better understand how to break down a poem for analyzing. I also very much appreciated Leah's comment on this blog post because she helped me better understand something I had misstated. Finally, I'd also like to mention that Chaly, Kimara, and Lindsey's comments on my post about posting my Personal Narrative on a personal social network encouraged me to want to do this more!

How is everybody doing with tracking their progress? 







1 comment:

  1. A great write-up of your progress so far! How will you make adjustments to your personal planning for the future? Which areas remain in need of more attention?

    ReplyDelete