Wednesday, May 1, 2013

This is my plan!


I have many gaps that beg to be filled when it comes to appreciating literature. I must guiltily admit that I have often read works of literature from many genres, and seldom have thoroughly examined text in the way that it deserves to be examined, that is in the way that authors meant for their works of art to impress the mind of the reader.

I have of late, nonetheless, recognized my lack of effort as I have minimally experienced the great power that literature can exert upon those who are willing to participate in understanding and analyzing it. This has encouraged me to plan to develop skills I have gained throughout my education in analyzing literature and to obtain the skills that I still lack, restricting my abilities to fully engage with this subject.

Specifically, my reflections of where I stand in my understanding of literature have helped me pinpoint areas of specific struggle. For instance, I have some background in analyzing works of fiction and dramas, but I significantly lack the ability to analyze poetry. Yet, poetry is one of the oldest and most moving forms of literature! I am, therefore, determined to focus this term on improving my analytical skills regarding the literary genre of poetry by:

1) Becoming acquainted with the different types of poetry
- I will attempt to do this by studying samples of each type

2) Acquiring skills that will aid me in understanding and analyzing poetry

3) Develop a work of my own from a chosen genre after gaining enough understanding of it

4) And finally, learn to really appreciate this form of literature!

My hope is that when I accomplish my plan emphasizing poetry I will walk away with a more enlightened mind, eager to continue explorations of the literary world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment