Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Secret Life of Bees

In my original plan I talked about wanting to read The Secret Life of Bees. Having only seen the movie (which was somewhat sensored to the true examples of racism found in the book), I was shocked at how detailed the author is about racism in the South. To me, it sent an important message about writing that we can't be afraid to make others uncomfortable in our writing. I think the most powerful writing of all is the kind that makes you think and squirm a little bit. I also love this line by the author:

“Someone who thinks death is the scariest thing doesn't know a thing about life.”
 
The narrator here is struggling with having accidentally killed her mother when she was four years old. The guilt she feels is unbearable, and she is unable to even process what has happened. My favorite part about it is the voice. She has a strong opinion for someone who is only 14 and you can really hear the anger and pain in that statement. You sense where she's come from and that she's tormented by her own memories.

Dakota Fanning as Lily in the movie adaptation

Anyone else read or reading this book? What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read this book, but I definitely agree with your assessment that powerful writing should make you squirm. I love the phrase "art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable." I think good literature follows the same premise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey has identified where you have a claim lurking within your post. It certainly is something that others could disagree over. Care to take the idea even further??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! I think literature is firstly meant to be enjoyed. No matter the point you're trying to make, if it isn't interesting to read, few people are going to bother analyzing it. The works we recognize as classics are the ones that, in my opinion, have not only been enjoyable but have challenged our ideas in some way. For example, something like Pride and Prejudice. On the surface, it's a great love story. On a deeper level, Austen is challenging our ideas about feminism, gender roles, sexuality, and social standing.

      Delete