Wednesday, May 22, 2013

O that this too too frail post won't fail!

... and resolve itself into a horrible description of my love for the play Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, which I am sure most of you are very familiar with. I have not read it in a long time, and I probably won't be able to clearly explain why I love it so much. This was the first actual play that I read in its entirety, and it was really one of my inspirations to explore genres of literature aside from fiction. Many claim that Shakespeare is one of the greatest writers in the English language, and while I lack depth to join in this claim, I would certainly point to this play as a support of that statement.

Here is an element of the play that I will help you agree:

The Language

 "To be, or not to be,that is the question: 
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer 
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. 
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles
And by opposing end them. To die, to sleep-..." 

Yes, it's one of the most famous soliloquies in the English language, and a believe it is so for a reason. Whenever I read those lines I do not simply think of Hamlet being there depressed and thinking: "Should I kill myself?" No. I think of the struggle, his mind wrestling the thoughts that plague him about the complexities of existence and the implications of suicide. I picture the piercing arrows of calamity that often wound our lives. I picture the brave sailor who despite the ongoing storm persists and endures, and the one that gives in to the consuming waves. The imagery woven throughout this excerpt connects me to this issue, as I feel it describes perfectly how in times of despondency I  have also wondered the same thing.

What is your favorite Shakespeare play?


4 comments:

  1. I personally love A Midsummer Night's Dream, because of its lighthearted and magical nature, but I did enjoy studying Hamlet in high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I really enjoy the cheerfulness of that one too, though I must admit that tragedies are my favorites.

      Delete
  2. I like Macbeth. What better to represent guilt than Lady Macbeth compulsively rubbing her hands together?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a tossup between The Merchant of Venice, Much Ado About Nothing, and Twelfth Night. As for the one I'd most like to adapt, All's Well That Ends Well is deliciously complex and weird and modern.

    ReplyDelete