Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Engaging Literature Socially

Part of my efforts for engaging literature socially have happened online. I've had a Tumblr blog for about two years now and have been able to communicate with a lot of different people through the site. Lately I've been able to have some pretty cool discussions about poetry with people who follow me. For those who are unfamiliar with how Tumblr works, you can personally message other bloggers in a simplistic email-like format.

Over the last few weeks one of my followers who knew I love spoken word poetry messaged me to ask for recommendations of who he should listen to. I told him my favorites, much as I have in previous blog posts, and we agreed to discuss it again after he had watched some. The next day we had a really cool conversation about poetry and our likes and dislikes in regard to some of the poets. It was really awesome to be able to connect with someone based simply on our interest in one sub-genre of poetry, and it reminded me of how literature helps people relate to one another and see each other more complexly.

Today he messaged me this video of an eighteen year old girl reading Annabel Lee by Edgar Allan Poe in a toddler voice. It's definitely an interesting addition to the consideration of how the delivery of a poem can affect the way you view it. 
What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Great example of socially engaging through literature! And after listening to (some) of that video, it also raises the issue of the rise of amateur performances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew next to nothing about Tumblr. It sounds like a great way to interact with others. I love how you have been able to connect with someone who shares the same interests as you. You have inspired me to do more with engaging socially through literature!

    ReplyDelete