Thursday, June 20, 2013

Meeting my Learning Outcomes: The Final Roundup

We have come to the end of this term! This means that the time has come to asses what we have done to meet our learning outcomes!

1. Know the basic literary terms and methods
2. Know the basic literary genres and representative texts
3. Write Literary Arguments
4. Engage in literature creatively and socially
5. Use emerging communication tools and pedagogical methods

Here is how I met them!

LO#1:
After the Midterm:
  • I wrote this post about terms that I recognized from Hamlet, which I was re-reading as part of my personal study for Drama Week.
  • I published a post analyzing literary structure within the play Othello (this helped me with my personal learning plan as well, which is based on becoming better at analyzing poetry)
  • I also identified literary elements and how they enhanced Elie Wiesels memoir Night.
  • As I identified different genres of Drama, I also identified literary terms that I recognized in each.
  • I identified literary terms in the poem I would refer to in my final paper as I did a close reading of it ("The World Is Too Much With Us")
  • I made a post comparing "Helen" by H.D and "To Helen" by Edgar Allan Poe, where I identified literary terms that they used to convey different messages.

LO#2:

After the Midterm:
  • I blogged about Elie Wiesel's memoir Night and identified it as a sub-genre of nonfiction.
  • I wrote another blog about a sub-genre of nonficiton (and one of my favorites) Travel Writing. I shared one of my favorite travel writing blogs.  
  • I looked into exploring different genres of drama that I had encountered before and during this term.
  • I experimented with producing a work of my own in the sub-genre of nonfiction: the personal essay.
  • I identified Mary Shelley's Frankenstein as gothic fiction.
  • As part of research for my paper I looked into romantic literature and the Romantic Movement.
LO#3:

After the Midterm:
  • In this blog post I claimed that nonfiction was a legitimate genre of literature by looking at Elie Wiesel's Night. 
  • I engaged in the different claims that I had naturally developed from discussions that we had had in class in this blog post.
  • As part of writing my research paper, I experimented with writing several types of claims that I could base my paper on.
  • I argued that perhaps there is an extent to which we should analyze literature in this post.
  • And most importantly of all, I shared various drafts of my working final paper which was argumentative.

LO#4:

  • I worked on this learning outcome first by choosing a novel to read for my personal study plan through the use of my Goodreads account based on the recommendations I received there.
  • I also talked about the importance of learning to appreciate poetry by analyzing it here.
  • I talked about poetry being shared creatively in the new media through Prezis and Youtube videos as part of my Poetry Adaptation Analysis.
  • I engaged in literature socially, furthermore, by posting one of my blog posts in a personal social network site.
  • By posting my literary experiences in this blog I have also engaged in literature creatively and socially. 
After the Midterm:
  • I engaged in literature socially when I watched an adaption of "All's Well That Ends Well" through Films On Demand with my roommates.
  • I engaged in literature creatively as I sought poetic patterns in the play Othello.
  • I used my Goodreads account to choose a work of nonfiction as I considered a nonfiction related claim for my paper (I chose Night by Elie Wiesel)
  • I engaged in literature creatively as I wrote a personal essay and posted it on the blog.
  • I engaged with literature socially as I circulated my thesis statements (though I worded them differently to make them more friendly) in my personal social media and with my roommates.
  • I furthermore engaged with literature socially through the help I received from my friends and classmates with editing my paper.

LO#5:
After the Midterm:
And that about wraps it up folks! Happy end of Spring Term!

No comments:

Post a Comment