Thursday, June 6, 2013

Talking with my Grandma


I stated earlier that the reason why I am writing this paper is because of my grandfather. He was the one that got us all into James Bond in the first place. I thought that calling my grandma would help in writing this paper  not only because she is from that same generation, but because her and my grandpa divorced when I was really young and I thought she could offer some good counterpoints to my thesis. I had been circulating my thesis statement around for couple days on places like facebook and she was my last stop. Also as someone who was able to get a job and starting making her own money in the 70's and 80's I thought she would be more feminist minded and a champion of social change. I was very wrong.
My grandma said that while she enjoyed working and having a part in bringing in money she missed the way families used to be with a man as a provider and the woman staying home to help with the kid and the household. She said that men today a very different than in times past and that they don't take responsibility as seriously as they used to. When I asked her if she felt that social changes had anything to do with this she said that they most definitely did. Then she proceeded to name some of the reasons why and they actually matched up with some of the things I found for my paper. Feminism, breakdown of family, and the rebellion of the next generation of kids. It turned out to be a very helpful conversation. At the end I asked her about Bond and what he represented to her and her generation.



She said that James Bond and guys like Clark Gable and John Wayne represented a type of masculinity that has been gone for awhile. I gave her my revised thesis (thanks to some help by Dr. Burton): "Although James Bond is a character that is a prime example of sexism, he nevertheless represents masculinity that has been lost in our generation". She liked it and I was glad that she did.

3 comments:

  1. This is adorable. I had a very similar conversation with my mom. I think she and your grandma would be friends. And I definitely won't argue with having more Clark Gables around! So you can count me in as one more James Bond fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea to talk to your Grandma! There's a primary source right there, and a very interesting one at that.

    ReplyDelete