Monday, June 10, 2013

Genre. I mean Whoa Man!

After discovering that there was a sub genre of fiction called nonsense literature, I'm curious to find other sub genres of fiction that I've never heard of before. Here, I am having grown up reading Dr. Seuss and Alice in Wonderland, and nursery rhymes, never knowing that they were nonsense literature.  And now that I know, I'm much better equipped to understand and analyze them.

I never realized how helpful genre can be in analyzing literature. Once you know the genre and the techniques that, that genre implements it's so much easier to find those techniques and understand why they were used.

So here are some other sub genres of fiction that you might not have heard of before. I chose some books that I'm familiar with to describe them:

Glitz/Glamour romance- a typical romance novel focused on the jet-set elite and celebrity. Think Gossip Girl

Quiet horror- subtly written horror that uses atmosphere and mood to create suspense rather than graphic description. Think Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky

Technological thriller- in which technology has run amok. Think Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

Bangsian Fantasy- Stories speculating on the after life esp. of celebrities.  Think The Lovely Bones

Cozy mystery/crime- a mystery that takes place in a small town with all suspects present and familiar with one another. Think Lacy Steele mysteries like Morning Cup of Murder.

What I found most amazing about these subgenres that I've never heard of before is that I have read books that fit under each of the categories. Whoa Man! If you want to read about more subgenres, check out this website.

1 comment:

  1. Jocelyn this is really cool! I'm so glad you made this post because now I'm thinking about the books I've read and whether or not they fit into any lesser thought of genres like these.

    ReplyDelete