Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Google vs. HBLL

Okay so, upon hearing that we had to choose a formal literary reference work I became a little concerned because I didn't really know how to use the library website. However, I decided to do a little experiment. I decided that I would try to find a very good reference on the library website and another one through goggle and see how easy it would be in both of them.



-Google

I searched "Romantic Literature" and, surprise surprise, the first link was to:

 Yep! Wikipidia, which is a source I'd rather not use for my paper.

I went on to the next search result to find a sketchy "Free Dictionary" entry:


And then I tried going to page 2 to find something more substantial and found this page, which was still unsatisfying to me:


I finally reached this Encyclopedia Britannica website (on page 4) that I thought perhaps I would put on my paper:



-HBLL
This was much faster and efficient I thought!
First I just followed Dr. Burton's suggestions by choosing English Literatures out of the subject guides:


Next I clicked on reference, and chose out of the ones listed Literature Online (LION):

Once in LION I chose to explore the links listed under Oxford Reference Online:


And ended up finding a great, trustworthy entry on Romantic Literature!
Lesson learned!

1 comment: