Monday, June 3, 2013

Fiction: Romance genre

I read A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks and I have to say, it was one of the few times when I thought the movie was better than the book. I was disappointed by Sparks's use of near-cliche stereotypes. Landon isn't just popular; in the book, he's the class president. He isn't working with Jamie on a play; he invites her to the school dance because he needs a date. Jamie doesn't just volunteer; she works in an orphanage. I can't tell you the last time I saw an orphanage in North Carolina, but okay.



What I liked about the movie was that you see Landon's transformation and realization of his potential without cringing. In the book, I couldn't stop cringing. It's full of high school drama and cliches. His foreshadowing makes the plot twists too obvious. Even the plot structure is strange. There is not much of a climax, and the book seems to go straight from rising action to falling action. Overall, it was a disappointment for me. The movie was a better, more modern adaptation with the basics of Sparks's story.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read the book, and I love the movie, but when I first read "the movie was better than the book" I was a bit skeptical." Its very believable, though, as you describe it here, which is kind of sad because often I watch a movie without having read the book, and when I get to read the book I find a pleasant surprise. I like that you identify exactly why you didn't like it using literary terms! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer I totally agree! I was in second grade the first time I saw the movie, so I feel like I grew up with the story. I read the book a few years ago and absolutely hated it! I think by that point I was so attached to the events in the movie that the differences in the book made me dislike it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete