Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Shakespeare: Script vs Stage


For my drama class I read the Twelfth Night, one of Shakespeare's famous comedies. I enjoyed reading the script, but one the questions on my reading prompt gave me some things to think about the difference between script and screen. The question asked that since Shakespeare's plays weren't meant to be read how would seeing it performed live change your interpretation of it. I thought back over some scenes like when Malvolio is trapped in a dark room and tortured, the scenes between Viola (who is disguised as man) and Olivia (who is infatuated with Viola in disguise). Seeing these scenes performed live would help me envision the setting more and understand the character and their actions. It is said that only 7% our communication is really verbal the rest is what our body shows. A lot can be lost if you can't picture the body movemnts and hear the tones of voice. Awkward scenes like Malvolio's torture and the dialogue between Viola and Olivia could be well, less awkward. Annotating scripts can have its benefits however. When you are watching a play it is really impossible to take in everything. When you are a reading a play though you can think longer, take pauses, and jot down things you have noticed. Still you can only get so far. Although reading plays can be beneficial it is better to see them as they were intended, to be performed live so that we can feel the emotions of the characters and gain a better understanding of the piece.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, but I think there are certain benefits to seeing the play. For example, I had no idea that "a light beyond thy window breaks" meant the light was turning on until I saw it in a play, which was probably pretty obvious, but oh well.

    ReplyDelete