Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Pushed



The most recent book I've been reading (besides Winnie the Pooh for my final paper) is another one that falls under the nonfiction category. I still have a hard time believing how many things I read that are nonfiction. I'm not entirely sure what subcategory of nonfiction this would fit under.

It's a pretty educational book that implements research and stories to explain the state of modern childbirth and maternity care in the U.S. Would that be educational? Is that a subcategory of nonfiction?


The book is a really great read so far. I highly recommend it to anyone, male or female, who will ever have children or be closely associated with someone who has children. (Basically everyone should read it).

It takes into account so many things we just expect our doctors to know best about us. The difference, it explains, between doctors knowing best about illnesses and childbirth, is that pregnancy is not an illness. Women's bodies were created to give birth and to know how to do it. There may be complications that arise in which a doctor might be helpful, but in many cases they get a little knife happy and want to make things more convenient for themselves.

In any case, this book is very eye opening. To any pregnant women, it could alert them to red flags about their care provider. To any other human being, it could help them make decisions or help in the decision making process of a pregnant woman sometime in the future. It is also just a good way to be educated.

So I'm curious, anyone reading this who isn't close to expecting a baby, how likely are you to read a book on childbirth and why?

1 comment:

  1. I feel like though I am not remotely close to expecting a baby or even have anybody close to me who is expecting, I would read this book because I am interested in what it has to say regarding being careful about choosing doctors and care providers. I want to be a physician, and though I generally believe that advances in medicine have made the birthing process much safer for women and their babies, I also agree that it is a natural process which should primarily be treated as such. So personally, I think it would be interesting to read the point of view you describe this book takes on this issue.

    ReplyDelete