Wednesday, June 5, 2013

New Media with Literature - feedback?

While thinking about claims for my thesis, I've spent a lot of time thinking about new media and how it affects  the relationship we have with the literature we absorb. New media creates new ways for people to interact with literature, and also new ways to create it themselves. I've also thought about the rise of the amateur, which is widely helped by outlets like YouTube, and whether it should really be considered negatively. Though amateurs now have ways to present their work to a broader public, is it not a good thing that they are participating in literary pursuits, no matter how seemingly awful their attempts may be? If literature helps us to see others more complexly and feel greater empathy for those around us, then society benefits from anyone who gives or takes to or from the literary pool. Also in this matter, I keep thinking back to the phrase "Every artist was first an amateur."

So what would my claim be, and what would I use to argue it? First, my claim would be that the outlets created by new media allow literature to grow and expand while reaching a broader audience, and that this is inherently beneficial for both the creators and audience of such content. The final presentation of my claim still needs a little work, but I was thinking I could argue it with the backing of spoken word poetry, the ways The Lizzie Bennet Diaries used new media to connect with its audience, and the rise of amateur poets and writers on social media sites such as Tumblr.

What do you think? How could I improve my claim or argue it better? I would love to hear any suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment