Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Ficiton Subgenre: The Signette: House on Mango Street

In my original reading plan, I decided to read House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros. It is a collection of....well, I'm not sure how you'd classify it (I'll get to that)...but together they all tell a story of a young girl living in Chicago, the people she meets there, her wish to escape, and her promise to come back for those she loves. I couldn't decide how to classify this book - definitely fiction, but what kind of fiction. It's almost poetic in its language at times, but it's not quite a collection of short stories either. I did some digging, and here's what I found:

vi·gnette  (vn-yt)
n.
1. A decorative design placed at the beginning or end of a book or chapter of a book or along the border of a page.
2. An unbordered picture, often a portrait, that shades off into the surrounding color at the edges.
3.
a. A short, usually descriptive literary sketch.
b. A short scene or incident, as from a movie.
tr.v. vi·gnet·tedvi·gnet·tingvi·gnettes
1. To soften the edges of (a picture) in vignette style.
2. To describe in a brief way.

[French, from Old French, diminutive of vignevine (from the use of vine tendrils in decorative borders); seevine.]

This seems to be the perfect definition to me. It's a collection of vignettes. None alone are long or complete enough to be a short story, but it's a collection of snippets that ultimately tell a tale. Exploring more into this genre. When looking up common examples, this came up: a blog. So while I thought we were all writing informally this term, we've actually been practicing our vignettes. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment