Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Does this make sense?

I thought it might be helpful to compile some quotes that seemed to go with my 'nonsense literature' genre in the Winnie the Pooh stories.

(Pink is me, green is quotes from the book)

These are from In Which We Are Introduced to Winnie-the-Pooh and Some Bees, and the Stories Begin from the book, Winnie-The-Pooh.

"You see I meant to do," he explained..."what I meant to do----" "Of course it was rather----" he admitted.... "It all comes, I suppose," he decided..."It all comes of liking honey so much..." (pg 13)

--Pooh's nonsensical ramblings

"I wonder if you've got such a thing as a balloon about you?"
"A balloon?"
"Yes, I just said to myself coming along: 'I wonder if Christopher Robin has such a thing as a balloon about him?' I just said it to myself, thinking of balloons and wondering." (pg 15)

--Redundancy of 'balloon'

"And then, when the balloon was blown up as big as big.." (pg 17)

---as big as big?!

"Christopher--ow---Robin," called out the cloud. (pg 20)

--the cloud talking, who is actually Pooh.

"Well it just happened that you had been to a party the day before a the house of your friend Piglet, and you had balloons at the party." (pg. 16)

---the use of 'you' as the narrator is telling the story, implying that he's telling it to Christopher Robin.

These are from In Which A House Is Built at Pooh Corner for Eeyore from the book, The House at Pooh Corner

"Christopher Robin had spent the morning indoors going to Africa and back, and he had just got off the boat and was sondering what it was like outside..." (pg 18)

--- How could he have been travelling to Africa and back indoors?!

"It isn't Close, if you know what I mean..."
"It isn't Stuffy."
"quite-between-ourselves- and-don't-tell-anybody, it's Cold"
"They haven't got Brains, any of them..."
"..so very much too Hot..."
"And then it will Get About and they'll be Sorry." (pg 20)

---Capitalization of random words that don't have any sort of pattern

"They haven't got Brains, any of them, only grey fluff that's blown into their heads by mistake..." (pg 20)

---Eeyore is saying this but he is also a stuffed animal, but if they were stuffed animals than the fluff would be there on purpose not by mistake...nonsense.

So those were just a few of the quotes I've compiled. But I think they'll help me make my point in my paper!




1 comment:

  1. Those are cute. I hadn't read Winnie the Pooh before. They create a tone of playfulness and absurdity.

    ReplyDelete