Wednesday, June 5, 2013

This is the why.

I'm actually really enjoying the reading and studying I'm doing for my final paper for my English class. But why in the world did I choose Winnie the Pooh? Random right?

Well it's no secret that I'm expecting a baby in August. Along with all the practical preparation for childbirth comes the preparation of how I'm going to decorate the nursery. Seems a little silly since I live in a tiny two bedroom apartment and the 'nursery' is also the office and craft room. Ha. But it's still fun to think about. I decided that I wanted to do a classic Winnie the Pooh theme based on the story where Pooh pretends to be a black rain cloud to get some honey.

I wanted to frame these and hang them on the wall.

But this still brings up the question, why Winnie the Pooh? I've always loved Winnie the Pooh since I was little. I love the sweet stories of friendship and courage and I think they have a lot to teach children. But all the Pooh stories I've seen and heard have been Disney renditions. It wasn't until I started working on this paper that I realized I haven't actually read the original Pooh stories. In the nursery, the plan was to do it on the original Winnie the Pooh. But how could I do that without having read the stories myself.

In my research, I was amazed by how many people on goodreads had awful things to say about Winnie the Pooh and the author A.A. Milne. In a way, I felt the need to defend the stories that meant so much to me as a child.

So that's the why. That is why I decided to argue that Winnie the Pooh stories are beneficial to teaching young children. Because I plan to read them to my daughter. I want her to love the original stories as well as the Disney renditions. I think she will be able to learn and grow from them and I plan to prove it in my paper.

2 comments:

  1. I love the original stories and original artwork for Winnie the Pooh. I think that's a great answer to the "why." When we can apply literature to our lives personally, I think its meaning and value is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to go on goodreads and read this trash they are talking about winnie the pooh. I loved the stories when I was a kid. I remember my friend made fun of me, but I was super adamant they were cool.

    ReplyDelete