Friday, June 14, 2013

"So what do you plan on doing with that?"

I plan on pursuing an artistic career after I graduate. Yes, it's "risky." Yes, there are no guarantees of success. I understand this. I hear it all the time. I get to have the "what's your major?" "English" "And what do you plan on doing with that?" conversation all. the. time. My answer changes depending on the person. Usually they follow that question with "Teaching or writing?" And I take the easy way out by merely saying "both" and offering up nothing else. I'm sorry but when did people decide that there are only two possible outcomes with an English major? But really that's a tangent for another time. 

The point is, I want to be a writer, and even though loads of people can be discouraging about this, I've found it's important to hold onto the bits of encouragement I find. One person in particular who is ridiculously inspiring is Neil Gaiman. I really love this little video of him answering an aspiring director's question.


No comments:

Post a Comment