Monday, June 3, 2013

Thesis Victory!

Based on the feedback that I received from friends and classmates, I've decided to use my evaluation claim as my thesis. However, I want to switch the viewpoint. As I've been reading and getting feedback, I think it could more easily be argued that the book is actually the more complete source, rather than the lecture. The author makes it clear in the book that the lecture is actually the more manufactured source (or at least the beginning of it). He spent months preparing and rehearsing for this lecture. It is only in the book that we learn the only reason he gave the lecture was to feel validated, but that the entire time he was speaking he worried about throwing up from his recent chemo treatments. You would never know that from the speech, during which he is constantly cracking jokes. I want to make the argument in my thesis that the speech is in fact the more artificial of the two lectures, and that you only grasp the author's true meaning with the background story and authenticity of the book.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment